I’m a bilingual cross-cultural English editor. And I’m passionate about clear communication and plain language.
Of all my testimonials, this is my favorite:
When you work with me, you will get someone who
- understands the challenges of communicating across cultures and languages
- aims to meet your needs
- treats you and your work with respect (I’m very nice 🙂 )
- keeps to the deadline (and often submits work ahead of time)
- works carefully and thoroughly
- combines editing skills and experience in the social sciences
- has a master’s degree in international affairs and a bachelor’s in psychology, both from top US institutions
I’d love to help you get your message across.
Get in touch to discuss whether we might be a good fit for your non-fiction scholarly writing project!
How I got here…
I’m a bilingual “third culture kid” who grew up between two countries and has lived in five (seven, if you count studying abroad as a student 😊).
I’m fascinated with communication across boundaries because I know what it’s like to translate thoughts between different cultures and languages.
I love reading your ideas, thoughts, and insights. And when I see messages getting lost in the words, my fingers itch. I want to help you get your great ideas out into the world.
I hope that I can be of service to you.
With over 15 years of professional experience, including over six years of editing, I’ve worked with multi-language authors through
- scholarly editing (abstracts, articles, policy reviews, research reports, etc.)
- content editing and writing for international development
- training professionals on writing, editing, and communication
Socioeconomic development (human rights, social development, public health, sexual & reproductive health rights, migrants, youth and child development, poverty reduction)
Social sciences (public health, psychology, education, political science, general economics, history, sociology, etc.)
Third culture kids, cross-cultural kids, multilingualism, parenting
Centre for Economic Policy Research and VoxEU.org
Energy Studies Institute, National University of Singapore
TASC, The Graduate Institute
United Nations agencies & international organizations
- International Labour Organization (ILO)
- UN Development Programme (UNDP)
- UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- UN Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR)
Private sector (biotech, healthcare, training)
See my editing services.
Academic, professional & training credentials
Masters of International Affairs, Columbia University (USA) in Economic and Political Development
☘ Professional societies
- Intermediate Member, Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (UK)
- Member, Plain Language Association International
- Member & newsletter editor (former blog editor), Families in Global Transition
☘ Courses, webinars & events (highlights)
Copy-editing 2: Headway [Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP)]
Plain English for Editors [CIEP]
Design for Readability [Editors Canada webinar]
Editing in a Multilingual World [ACES: The Society for Editing webinar]
Inclusive Language [ACES: The Society for Editing webinar]
Proofreading and Copyediting with The Chicago Manual of Style [Editorial Freelancers Association (EFA)]
Writing for the Sciences [Stanford University via Coursera]
Access for All: Plain Language Is a Civil Right [PLAIN conference]
Clear Writing for Europe 2021 [European Commission conference]
Plain Language 2022 [Japan Plain English and Language Consortium conference]
Plain English for Editors [CIEP course]
Plain Language Online Training [US National Institutes of Health course]
Accessible Publishing Summit 2022: User Perspectives [NNELS Canada webinar]
Accessible Word Documents [DAISY Learning]
Creating accessible PDFs, by Margaret Hunter, Daisy Editorial [CIEP2022 session]
Inclusive Design Principles, by Henny Swan [2021 Inclusive Design 24 webinar]
Human Rights and Health [Human Rights Education Association]
An Introduction to Global Health [University of Copenhagen via Coursera]
Language Prejudice and the Documentation of Minoritized Varieties of English [Oxford English Dictionary webinar]
Questionnaire Design for Social Surveys [University of Michigan via Coursera]
Latest reports & thoughts about work
I look forward to being of service! Please contact me via the form below or email email@example.com to discuss your needs and my services. I will get back to you as soon as I can during my working hours.