Welcome! I’m so glad you’re here. I’m a bilingual cross-cultural English editor, and I’m passionate about clear communication and plain language.
When you work with me, you will get someone who
- Understands the challenges of communicating across cultures and languages
- Aims to meet your needs
- Treats you and your work with respect (I’m very nice 🙂 )
- Keeps to the deadline (and often submits work ahead of time)
- Works carefully and thoroughly
- Offers a combination of editing skills and experience in the social sciences
- Has a master’s degree in international affairs and a bachelor’s in psychology, both from top US institutions
I’d love to help you get your message across.
Over 15 years of professional experience, including over six years editing, I've worked with multi-language authors through
- Scholarly editing (abstracts, articles, policy reviews, research reports, etc.)
- Content editing and writing for international development
- Training professionals on writing, editing, and communications
- Preparing presentations
- Editing and writing articles for a monthly English-language magazine for expat parents in Bangkok and Families in Global Transition blog
- Translating academic and business Japanese into English
How I got here...
I'm a bilingual "third culture kid" who grew up between two countries and has lived in four. I'm fascinated with communication across boundaries because I know what it’s like to translate thoughts between different cultures and languages.
Getting ideas across through the written word is my passion. That's why I became an editor.
I love reading people's ideas, thoughts, and insights. Learning new things and encountering fresh ideas are my favorite parts of being an editor.
But when I see the messages getting lost in the words, my fingers itch. I want to help the writer get their great ideas to leap out into the world.
I hope that I can be of service to you, too.
Some organizations I've edited for
- Centre for Economic Policy Research and VoxEU.org
- Energy Studies Institute, National University of Singapore
- TASC, The Graduate Institute
- United Nations agencies
- International Labour Organization (ILO)
- UN Development Programme (UNDP)
- UN Children's Fund (UNICEF)
- UN Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR)
Academic & training credentials
- Masters of International Affairs, Columbia University (USA) in Economic and Political Development
- Intermediate Member, Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (UK)
- Member, Plain Language Association International
- Editing training courses and webinars (highlights)
- Copy-editing: Headway (Level 2), Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP)
- Writing for the Sciences, Stanford University via Coursera
- US National Institutes of Health Plain Language Online Training
- Editing in a Multilingual World, ACES: The Society for Editing webinar
- Inclusive Language, ACES: The Society for Editing webinar
- Proofreading and Copyediting with The Chicago Manual of Style, Editorial Freelancers Association (EFA)
- Other training courses (highlights)
- Human Rights and Health, Human Rights Education Association
- An Introduction to Global Health, University of Copenhagen via Coursera
- Questionnaire Design for Social Surveys, University of Michigan via Coursera
See my editing services.
- Socioeconomic development (human rights, social development, public health, sexual & reproductive health rights, migrants, youth and child development, poverty reduction)
- Social sciences (public health, psychology, ducation, political science, general economics, history, sociology, etc.)
- Third culture kids, cross-cultural kids, multilingualism, parenting
I look forward to being of service! Please contact me via the form below or email email@example.com to discuss your needs and my services.