Are you a multi-language scholar? Do you need to boost your English writing so it’s clear and persuasive? Or are you trying to reach a diverse audience with unambiguous English?
Let me help you get your message across.
I’m a bilingual cross-cultural English editor who is passionate about clear communication using plain language.
When you work with me, you will get someone who
- Understands the challenges of communicating across cultures and languages
- Aims to meet your needs
- Treats you and your work with respect
- Keeps to the deadline (and often submits work ahead of time)
- Works carefully and thoroughly
- Offers a combination of editing skills and experience in the social sciences
- Has a master’s degree in international affairs and a bachelor’s in psychology, both from top US institutions
I have over 15 years of professional experience including over six years focused on editing. I’ve worked with multi-language authors through
- Editing abstracts and journal articles, online articles, literature reviews, policy reviews, and research reports
- Content editing and writing reports and other documents for International Labour Organization (ILO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), and United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR)
- Developing and conducting trainings on writing, editing, and communications skills
- Developing presentations for private companies and UN organizations
- Editing and writing articles targeting a broad audience, for a monthly English-language magazine for expat parents in Bangkok and Families in Global Transition blog
- Translating academic and business Japanese into English
Academic & training credentials
- Masters of International Affairs, Columbia University (USA) in Economic and Political Development
- Intermediate Member, Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (UK)
- Editing training courses and webinars (highlights)
- Copy-editing: Headway (Level 2), Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP)
- Writing for the Sciences, Stanford University via Coursera
- US National Institutes of Health Plain Language Online Training
- Editing in a Multilingual World, ACES: The Society for Editing webinar
- Inclusive Language, ACES: The Society for Editing webinar
- Proofreading and Copyediting with The Chicago Manual of Style, Editorial Freelancers Association (EFA)
- Other training courses (highlights)
- Human Rights and Health, Human Rights Education Association
- An Introduction to Global Health, University of Copenhagen via Coursera
- Childbirth: A Global Perspective, Emory University via Coursera
- Getting Old Around the Globe, University of Pennsylvania via Coursera
- Questionnaire Design for Social Surveys, University of Michigan via Coursera
See my editing services.
- Socioeconomic development (human rights, social development, public health, sexual & reproductive health rights, migrants, youth and child development, poverty reduction)
- Social sciences (public health, psychology, education, political science, general economics, history, sociology, etc.)
- Third culture kids, cross-cultural kids, multilingualism, parenting
The longer story…
I’m a bilingual “third culture kid” who grew up between two countries and has lived in four. I’m fascinated by communication across boundaries, as I know firsthand what it’s like to translate thoughts between different cultures and languages.
In my professional life, I worked in the international development field for over eight years in HIV prevention, adolescent reproductive & sexual health, youth empowerment, and migrant health, covering the Philippines, Thailand, and other ASEAN countries.
I became an editor when I realized working with the written word and helping ideas get across is what I love to do. It’s my little contribution to making this world a more open, respectful, and inclusive place.
When I read something where the key messages are getting lost among the words, my fingers itch to sort it out. I want to help great ideas and insights leap out into the world and be taken seriously.
I also love getting to read people’s works as a job. Learning something new and encountering fresh ideas—that’s a great part of editing!
I look forward to being of service! Please contact me via the form below or email email@example.com to discuss your needs and my services.