Are you a multi-language scholar? Do you need to boost your English writing so it’s clear and persuasive? Or are you trying to reach a diverse audience with unambiguous English?
Let me help you get your message across.
I’m a bilingual cross-cultural English editor who is passionate about clear communication using plain language.
When you work with me, you will get someone who
- Understands the challenges of communicating across cultures and languages
- Aims to meet your needs
- Treats you and your work with respect
- Keeps to the deadline (and often submits work ahead of time)
- Works carefully and thoroughly
- Offers a combination of editing skills and experience in the social sciences
- Has a master’s degree in international affairs and a bachelor’s in psychology, both from top US institutions
I have over 15 years of professional experience including over six years in editing. I’ve worked with multi-language authors through
- Editing abstracts and journal articles, online articles, literature reviews, policy reviews, and research reports
- Content editing and writing reports and other documents for UNICEF, ILO, and UNDP
- Editing and writing articles targeting a broad audience, for a monthly English-language magazine for expat parents in Bangkok and Families in Global Transition blog
- Developing presentations for private companies and UN organizations
- Translating academic and business Japanese into English
Academic & training credentials
- Masters of International Affairs, Columbia University (USA) in Economic and Political Development
- Intermediate Member, Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (UK)
- Editing training courses and webinars (highlights)
- Copy-editing: Headway (Level 2), Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP)
- Writing for the Sciences, Stanford University @Coursera
- US National Institutes of Health Plain Language Online Training
- Editing in a Multilingual World, ACES: The Society for Editing webinar
- Other training courses (highlights)
- Human Rights and Health, Human Rights Education Association
- An Introduction to Global Health, University of Copenhagen via Coursera
- Questionnaire Design for Social Surveys, University of Michigan via Coursera
See my editing services.
- Socioeconomic development (human rights, social development, public health, sexual & reproductive health rights, migrants, youth and child development, poverty reduction)
- Social sciences (public health, psychology, education, political science, general economics, history, sociology, etc.)
- Third culture kids, cross-cultural kids, multilingualism, parenting
The longer story…
I’m a bilingual “third culture kid” who grew up between two countries and has lived in four. I’m fascinated by communication across boundaries, as I know firsthand what it’s like to translate thoughts between different cultures and languages.
In my professional life, I worked in the international development field for over eight years in HIV prevention, adolescent reproductive & sexual health, youth empowerment, and migrant health, covering the Philippines, Thailand, and other ASEAN countries.
I became an editor when I realized working with the written word and helping ideas get across is what I love to do. It’s my little contribution to making this world a more open, respectful, and inclusive place.
When I read something where the key messages are getting lost among the words, my fingers itch to sort it out. I want to help great ideas and insights leap out into the world and be taken seriously.
I also love getting to read people’s works as a job. Learning something new and encountering fresh ideas—that’s a great part of editing!
Check out the blog for more on writing, editing, and other updates.
I look forward to being of service! Please contact me via the form below or email email@example.com to discuss your needs and my services.