Here are answers to some common questions.
☘ How do I work with you? What’s the workflow?
We can customize the workflow as needed, but here’s the usual process:
- You contact me with your requirements. Please tell me:
- Type of document
- Word length
- Kind of work required (e.g., copyediting/proofreading/presentation)
- Required style, if any
- Any other relevant details (useful information that you can provide beforehand)
- If you would like to have a no-risk sample edit, you can email the document to me and I will send back an edited sample. If you decide to hire me, the time I spent on the sample edit will be added to the cost of the whole project.
- I provide a quotation. We can then discuss whether we are a good match.
- We agree on clear terms (e.g., the timeline of deliverables, payment schedule) and you send me the document(s) if you haven’t already.
- For larger projects, I ask that you make an upfront deposit (up to 50% of the quote).
- I submit a draft for review.
- You check the draft and provide feedback.
- I finalize the document and return it to you.
- You make the final payment (and give me private feedback and submit a testimonial too please!). Project complete 🙂
☘ What is your rate? How much will this cost?
I offer excellent value for your money. My clients have told me that I exceeded their expectations and most have come back for more.
- My rate is EUR30 per hour.
- I’m happy to quote a rate per 1,000 words if you prefer, but that rate will depend on the project and will be based on a review of your draft.
- The minimum charge for a project is EUR30, except for the ‘quick English check’ for materials under 300 words.
For standard copyediting of reasonably clear text, I go through around 1,200 words in an hour–but my speed will vary greatly depending on each document and what you want me to do.
This means the quotation and final price will depend on the requirements of your specific project. Please contact me for a commitment-free sample edit and consultation.
My rate matches the range suggested by the Editorial Freelancers Association (EFA) and the Chartered Institute for Editing and Proofreading (UK).
☘ How do I make payment?
I accept payment in USD, EUR, and JPY via bank transfer. (Please ask about THB payments.)
For USD and EUR, using Transferwise is likely to be the cheapest transfer option for you (if you sign up via this link, you’ll get a free transfer to try it out).
We can discuss alternative arrangements if needed.
☘ How do I know which editing service I should request?
It depends on what stage your work is at. Here’s a table to serve as a rough guide.
|Status||It needs…||File types||Best service|
|A deeper review:|
Check text for compelling overall structure, logic, clarity of argument, sufficiency of evidence & citations. Review figures for clarity & completeness.
Plus ‘surface’ clean-up:
Check for correct grammar, syntax, punctuation, consistency, application of style, completeness of document (no missing components). Spot-check of references / bibliography.
|Word, etc. (working document)||Level 2 Intensive copyediting|
You feel that:
|A ‘surface’ clean-up:|
Check for correct grammar, syntax, punctuation, consistency, application of style, completeness of document (no missing components). Spot-check references / bibliography.
|Word (working document)||Level 1 Simple copyediting|
In other words:
|Final check for any typos, consistency, errors in type.||PDF, Word ('proofs')||Proofreading|
If you’re a non-native English speaker (‘English as a Foreign Language’ or EFL writer), you may want to opt for Level 2 intensive copyediting, to make sure that you are also following the logical structure required by English writing.
Read more: What do you need? Copyediting vs. proofreading to understand the differences between those two services.
☘ What file formats do you work with?
|Type of work||File formats|
|Copyediting||Word with tracked changes, or Google Docs*|
|Proofreading||Word, Google Docs, or PDF*|
|Presentations||PowerPoint (other formats to be discussed)|
|Website text||Word with tracked changes or Google Docs; RTF or plain text if you prefer. |
Working directly in WordPress post/page is also an option.
Feel free to contact me with other questions.